Marriages at St Mary’s

St Mary's
St Mary’s

Christian Marriage is a gift of God and a sacrament of His Church. It should be entered into with thoughtfulness and prayer. Please speak to the parish priest if you are contemplating getting married and are hoping to have your marriage service in St Mary’s. Certain rules apply which can be discussed.

You can arrange to get married at St Mary-the-Virgin, Kenton if (see further explanation and advice below)

  • neither you nor the person you hope to marry are subject to immigration controls and / or have overstayed your visa; and
  • you meet the Church of England’s rules for being connected to the parish church in which you would like to get married.

If one of these criteria seems to be a problem in your case, don’t panic. Read the information below and feel free to contact us if you need to know more. We will require documentary proof of these things and may have to refer you to other agencies or authorities (such as the Registrar or the Home Office) in case of doubt, particularly with regard to immigration status.

I (or my partner) are subject to immigration controls or have overstayed a visa

The Church of England is obliged to uphold the law as to who can marry in the UK, which includes the visa status of non-EU citizens and the Immigration Act 2004. People who enter the UK on a visa and wish to marry an EU citizen must have permission to do so as part of thier visa, and their visa must be current. Marrying in the Church of England is not a way of evading the requirements of the law or the consequences of having overstayed a visa, because the legal requirements must be satisfied before the marriage can take place.

We advise anyone who wishes to seek to get married at St Mary’s, or any other Church of England parish church to resolve any immigration and other visa issues before approaching us. You may have to be referred to the Superintendent Registrar or the Home Office to obtain the correct paperwork and permissions.

How do we know if we are ‘connected’ enough to St Mary’s to marry there?

You can marry in a Church of England church such as St Mary’s if you can show

that one of you:

  • has at any time lived in the parish for a period of at least six months or
  • was Baptized in the parish concerned or
  • was prepared for Confirmation in the parish or
  • has at any time regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least six months or

that one of your parents, at any time after you were born:

  • has lived in the parish for a period of at least six months or
  • has regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least six months or

that one of your parents or grandparents:

  • was married in the parish

What does ‘in the parish’ mean?

Each Church of England church serves an area called a parish. It has fixed boundaries and you can check which parish you live in by visiting searching on your postcode. Because of the variety in size and shape of parishes, the Church of England church you are nearest may not be your parish church, especialy in large cities.

Wedding Fees  and information 2014

Reviewed each January.

We want your wedding to be a very happy day for you, your family and friends. These notes help you understand the fees  associated with a Church of England wedding and the responsibilities you have as those wishing to get married at St Mary’s.

We will do all we can to support you as you prepare for this great Sacrament of the Church. You will certainly be in our prayers.

Time of the Wedding

A wedding within the Church of England can only take place between 8am and 6pm. It has to be complete by 6pm.

Banns of Marriage  £34.

These are called at the main Mass on three consecutive Sundays, ahead of the wedding.

If you both live in the parish, the Banns are called at St Mary’s only.

If one party, or both, lives in another parish or  one or both parties  are on the electoral roll of St Marys, banns must also be called in the parish in which you live physically.

A  fee  has to be paid for those banns and the  certificate,  to the priest of that parish. The marriage at St Mary’s cannot take place without the banns certificate from that  parish in which you physically live.

Marriage Service £392

Total legal fees £426 .00 [includes banns fee for St Mary’s]

Organist £125.00 [ fee agreed by the PCC]

Verger £ 40 .00 [fee agreed by the PCC]

Total £591

You will see the basic statutory fees  at

  1. The Parochial Church Council has resolved that where appropriate a suggested contribution towards  heating the church is  £50.

Should you wish to film your wedding.

  • You are responsible for ensuring that parents/guardians of minors[ those under 18 years of age] give their consent for their children/guardians to be filmed.
  • You need to apply for a Church Copyright Licence [this may be done over the internet and is priced according to your requirements]. A copy of this licence must be given to the priest at the rehearsal. Otherwise filming cannot take place.
  • The organist as a professional musician receives a further  fee of £125.
  • The Parochial Church Council has resolved that the church receives a further fee of  £125 for filming.

See -wedding/dvd-recording.aspx

Thus there are four options

  • Legal fees, filming fees, organist, verger, heating contribution £ 891
    You are responsible for the Church Copyright Licence.
  • Heating contribution, organist, verger, legal fees £ 641
  • Legal fees and organist, verger £ 551.
  • Legal fees alone £ 426


The wedding party may provide their own flowers or discuss  provision with our No 1 Floral Agency Mrs Gloria Cowans. If providing your own flowers please speak to Gloria anyway. Costs for flowers are in addition to the other costs.


It is the responsibility of the bridal party to discuss organ music with the Church Organist Mr Peter Crawford. This should be done at the earliest opportunity.

Should you wish your own organist to play at the wedding, our organist as the resident person, will still receive his fees.

We have MP3 or CD facility.

The bride is asked to be in church at the time agreed for the wedding. There may be another wedding or another service following yours. If a bride is more than 15 minutes late the Organist, as a professional musician, is entitled to charge a further fee. If a bride is more than  30 minutes late it might not be possible for the wedding to take place.

It is your responsibility to be at the Church on time.


Thank you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.