He was born in Mayaro, Trinidad, British West Indies and educated at St Joseph Convent State School, South Oropouche. In 1943 he went to Naparima College, San Fernando.
For a time from 1943 he was employed in the Petroleum Industry, the Civil Service and an assistant teacher at Fyzabad Intermediate School.
In 1954 he entered the Community of the Resurrection, Codrington College, Barbados. He became Deacon in 1960 at St Michael’s Cathedral Barbados and assistant to the Rector of St James Barbados. He was Priested in 1961 at the Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity, Trinidad and became Assistant Curate at St Crispin’s. Then followed time at the Church Divinity School of the Pacific, California, work with the USPG and then in 1967 he came to the Cambridgeshire College of Arts.
In 1968 he became Rector of St Mary’s Parish, Tacarigua, Trinidad and in 1977 Rector of St Andrew’s, Tobago.
Back in England, he was made Priest in Charge of All Saints, Great Berkhamstead in the Diocese of St Alban in 1978. In 1982 he became Vicar of St James, Goff’s Oak, also in the St Albans Diocese. From there, in 1990 he became Vicar of St Michael the Archangel, Wembley in the Diocese of London.
Fr John retired and in 2001 became Honorary Assistant Priest at St Mary-the-Virgin, Kenton.
He has a wife, Elizabeth, a son and a daughter and 2 grandchildren.