Church & History

The parish of Kenton came into being in 1927 as a Mission District carved out of the territory of a number of local parishes, particularly St John, Greenhill.

Architects drawing of St Mary's
Architects drawing of proposed church

It’s Missioner and later Vicar, Fr F R Johnson, known locally as ‘Pop’, came in 1927 and stayed until 1964 – in many ways this parish and the church of St Mary’s, designed by the renowned architect, J Harold Gibbons, which was consecrated in 1936, were his life’s work. It was founded in and has stood in the tradition of the Oxford Movement.

There have been six vicars since Fr Johnson: Fr Hedley Montague Shearing (8.5.1965 – 6.11.1973); Fr Peter Jermyn (5.6.1973 – 26.8.1982); Fr Richard Brown (11.1.1984 – 19.3.1994); Fr David Sherwood (20.12.1994 – 28.2.2006), Fr Giles Pinnock (9.9.2006 – 31.10.2010) and Fr Edward Lewis (20.5.2011 – present), and numerous Assistant Priests and Curates.